Train geeks

I haven't visited this blog for while. Many other activities have been taking up my time: setting up websites, making models of trains and enjoying the weather whenever the sun shines.

There is not enough time to do everything in one lifetime. Making reasonably accurate model trains involves some research, at least reading a book on the subject,  combined with some model making ability.

My website is over here: Diagram3D and it continues the general theme of trains, preferably ancient,  of the type I like which is also, hopefully, the type that everyone likes.

Research takes ages and traditional railway model making involves arcane skills which also take time and patience to learn. I do possess some of these skills but not all.  Even the most talented modelers get older.

As a result,  not much modelling happens as ones eyes and hands are no longer up to the delicate business of making models of trains. It is a complicated business. For example, after one has completed the model it still has to be painted and this is a subject in itself. Steam trains were painted in all sorts of complicated liveries and the modern versions are just as difficult to paint.

My solution to the onset of bleary eyes was to approach the subject again, taking into account 21st century tools and techniques (Laser cutters, 3D printers and software). The intention was to produce model railway parts and kits that could be assembled without much effort in a reasonable time by average folks.

These days,  I design the model and the machines make the parts. Which is as it should be. I never quite understood the fascination for making things laboriously by hand that were better accomplished by using a machine.

The net result is that I am now able to continue my hobby for much longer than I expected with more satisfaction in the process.